How to Select a Remodeler
DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE REMODELING YOUR HOME!
No matter your home’s age, sooner or later you will join the millions of people who remodel their homes each year. The reasons for remodeling are as varied as the projects themselves. Remodeling adds comfort, convenience and space to what is for most homeowners their most valued asset. Home improvement can be both exciting and intimidating. Whether you’re just thinking about remodeling or ready to start, we’ll provide you all the tools you need to make a smart decision.
USE THIS QUESTIONNAIRE TO HELP YOU SELECT A REMODELER IN ORDER TO AVOID MYRIAD PITFALLS.
- Does the remodeler have a permanent business location?
- Does the remodeler have a good reputation with banks and suppliers?
- How long have they been in the building business? It usually takes five years or more to establish a financially sound business.
- Will the remodeler be around after the construction is complete to service any warranties?
- Have you called the Better Business Bureau, Registrar of Contractors, Southern Arizona HomeBuilders Association? They can alert you to any concerns.
- Does the remodeler have sufficient worker’s compensation and general liability insurance? If not, you may be liable for any construction-related accidents on the premises.
- Will the remodeler provide you with names of previous clients. Ask them if they would hire the remodeler again.
- Are you able to communicate with the remodeler? Remember you will be in close contact with them throughout the construction process and afterward as you live in your new home.
- Will the remodeler provide you with a complete and clearly written contract? The contract will benefit both of you. Review it carefully.
- Be cautious of unusually low-priced bids. If the remodeler is unable to pay for the materials and labor as the project proceeds, this may indicate a problem.